Tuesday, July 6, 2010

CASPAR!|CASPAR SMYTH

Direct From London

Name|Caspar Smyth

Age|23

Hometown|London


We heard that you are a music producer—can you tell us about some of the music you have produced?

I’m a music publisher; it's a relatively new company so we’re working on a few projects.


Is there a difference between the role of music producer vs. music publisher?

Yes, the music producer is more like the creative side of it (like Timbaland, who produces). A music publisher is about getting bands signed with a label.


When did you start getting involved with music?

I’ve been involved my whole life through my dad (he’s a musician—Carl Smyth, from the band Madness). It's a family-run business that involves me and my brother.


What are some of your favorite places for checking out live music in the UK?

Plastic People, the Den (used to be the End). Music festivals are always amazing, Cargo, the Old Blue Last, Enterprise in Camden. Most of the places I mentioned are in the East or Camden.


Could you list some of your favorite music to listen to right at this moment?

Bill Withers, the Delfonics, Aloe Blacc, Flying Lotus, J Dilla, Minnie Riperton, the Collarbones.


Burberry Campaign F/W 2010 Shot by Mario Testino


How did the Burberry campaign come about?

I believe they had already cast it, but I got a call from my booker at the last minute. I was chilling in my PJ’s, I had no hot water. I had to get there within half an hour. I met Christopher Bailey but didn’t even know it was him as he was so mild-mannered, the Clark Kent of the industry! Then I was called back to Skype with Mario Testino and ended the conversation with him telling me, “I’ll see you next week.”


What was the experience of shooting the campaign and working with Christopher Bailey like?

Working with Burberry was brilliant, it was so cool to have that as a first job and it was fantastic working with a mixture of artists. Chris is just a lovely fella, he’s so conscious of everyone in the room.


Could you define your sense of style? What do you like to wear on a regular basis?

Laid-back with a luxury twist. Whatever's on top of the drawer.


Polaroids of Caspar Smyth, provided by Select Models.


What are your plans for the summer?

Music festivals and more music festivals and then I will hanging out in Ibiza with my dad.


What is your idea of a perfect day?

Football with friends in the park and then a lovely meal at a friend's house and then a gig, like Flying Lotus...dying.


Since your dad is Carl Smyth, what's your favorite song from your dad's band Madness?

“The Return of the Los Palmas 7” and of course “It Must Be Love” (although it’s a cover).


AGENT|Dounia Benjelloul|Select Models (UK)
IMAGES|Jesse Jenkins|www.strandedatthelites.com
POLAROIDS|Select In House
CAMPAIGN SHOTS|PROVIDED BY BURBERRY
CASTING|John Tan
MODEL|Caspar Smyth|Select Models
COPY EDITOR|Jonathan Shia
Special thanks to Caspar and Dounia, Stuart and Ben at Select Models for their effort and support.

1 comment: