Thursday, July 8, 2010

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI|MILES McMILLAN





Name|Miles McMillan

Age|Just turned 21

Hometown|La Jolla, California


What are your plans for the summer?

Anything and everything.


Favorite summer song:

“Home” by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros


Plans to stay cool from the heat:

Rooftops, the Yard, parks, cold drinks all day and night, and of course good company to take my mind off the heat.


Favorite summer treat:

Anything frozen


People would be surprised to know this about you:

If I couldn't paint I would want to be a marine biologist.


All clothing are vintage from the stylist's archives:

Raf Simons, Alexander McQueen, Y-3,

Helmut Lang and Number (N)ine.


PHYSICAL GRAFFITI:
THE ART OF
MILES McMILLAN

When did you start painting?

I have been drawing since I was in diapers, but when I was five or six my teacher saw something in me and I started getting art lessons after school. I love it!


Who inspired you to get into painting?

I've always been driven to paint. My parents always pushed me to do what I love. Now beauty inspires me to paint, and if I get an image in my head I have to put it to canvas right away.


Are the subjects in your artwork people you know or are they professional models?

I use a mixture of models and friends. I've used girlfriends, friends, as well as models from fashion magazines and Playboy.


How often do you paint? Where do you paint?

I don't paint as much as I should, but when I do I paint in my living room or in the studio at school. I do my paintings very fast so I can move onto the next idea, image, concept.


What medium do you use and how large are your artworks?

Oil paints mostly, they are around 40” by 38”. I also do very large-scale watercolors where the figure is almost life-size. My sculptures are about the size of me. They are made with sheet Latex that I make and then sew together.


Could you tell us about some of your works and what lead you to paint them?

At first I look for the most exterior beauty, mostly because that is what attracts people to anything, and I don't want to ignore that fact in my work. Then once I have my subject I go into a painting and paint it as if I am creating a person by building up the flesh.


What's next, art-wise, for you?

I am going to move on to working on larger works so it is a struggle to complete and to work with the figure. I want to continue to challenge myself and to work with beauty and whatever inspires me next.


AGENT|Shawn Zane|APM Models
IMAGES|Alexander Neumann|www.alexanderneumann.com
ARTWORK|Provided by Miles McMillan
FASHION EDITOR|CASTING|John Tan
MODEL|Miles McMillan|APM Models
COPY EDITOR|Jonathan Shia
Special thanks to Shawn Zane & the team at APM Models, Miles McMillan for sharing his artwork with us and Jonathan Shia.

2 comments: