Tuesday, November 9, 2010

SIMON KOTYK|HOTEL CHELSEA








Name|Simon Kotyk

Age|20

Homebase|Kladno, Czech


How did you get started in modeling?

My agent discovered me at an Ikea store in Prague. I was shopping with my parents. I wasn't really interested in modeling then. My dream was to become a dramatic character actor.


This is your first time in NYC, what's your first impression?

I feel like I am in a dream. I always saw New York through films, and to be here is a bit surreal.


Of all the places you wanted to visit in New York, could you tell me why you chose to come to the Chelsea Hotel first?

In every city I have visited, I prefer the indie tourist route rather than the mainstream tourist destinations. A female friend back home suggested that I visit the Chelsea Hotel. Since I am into the punk music scene, what better iconic place to visit than the Chelsea Hotel? The hotel is really cool, it is more like an art gallery than a hotel (there's artwork on every floor). Also it is free of tourists, which makes it perfect.


What are some of the other places you are interested in visiting while in New York?

I want to check out past places that are associated with the Factory and Andy Warhol. I am a huge fan of the '70s and '80s. The indie art scene during that period of time really inspires me.


How's Kladno, Czech Republic, different from Manhattan, New York?

The architecture, people's mentality is very different. People in New York are more helpful if you need something.


What other projects are you working on besides modeling?

I am a professional tattoo artist. I have work on roughly fifty individuals' tattoos so far in my tattoo career. I started this career early this spring. I am loving it!


Tell us about your tattoos.

It is only on my left arm but I am right-handed. I have a tattoo engraved with the words, "I Believe In Fairies." One of my favorite children's books growing up was Peter Pan. I remember my mom reading the book to me. When I was a kid, I personally saw a fairy (not kidding!). Every tattoo has a different meaning for me.


My favorite things:

Drink or smoke?—Straight-edge.

Favorite ice cream—Toffee with nuts, in Italy.

Music—Joy Division, The Cure, Velvet Underground, Iggy Pop, Mozart, Beethoven, and Johnny Cash.


AGENT|Rodger|Major (Paris)

IMAGES|John Tan
CASTING|John Tan
MODEL|Simon Kotyk|Major Models (Paris)
COPY EDITOR|Jonathan Shia

Special thanks to Rodger at Major Models (Paris). Simon Kotyk for his time and spending most of his first trip in NYC with JTC!

2 comments:

  1. How cool to see a fairy! Very clever you must be... they like to hide from sight (as you probably know...) ;)

    Did you know about these, Pan fan? ;D
    A story based on Barrie’s own idea for more:
    Click!
    And a great 'What if?' adventure (but it's not for the kids!): Click!
    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog's articles are interesting & really awesome, I enjoyed your blog every time. We offering the services which will be beneficial to your readers.India Jaypee Hotels offers best luxury hotels in Delhi India Jaypee Siddharth Hotel,Jaypee Vasant Continental, New Delhi India,Hotels In New Delhi India."thanks for this very informative post and article".

    ReplyDelete